Living With Dystonia
Dystonia often impacts every aspect of a person's life, and learning to live with dystonia can be a profound adjustment. Many people with dystonia describe the process of diagnosis and everyday coping as riding a rollercoaster with dramatic ups and downs: there are setbacks and celebrations, challenges and victories.
Living successfully with dystonia is possible and the following factors can contribute greatly to a person's ability to live as well as possible.
- Seek out the best medical care - Finding a doctor specialising in movement disorders can make a big difference in your treatment
- Educate yourself about dystonia and treatment options
- Develop a multi-layered support system including local support groups, online resources, friends and family
- Seek out the services of mental health professionals if needed
- Investigate complimentary therapies
- Get active within the dystonia organisation
- Stay informed Dystonia Ireland events, news and activities in newsletter, on website, face book and Twitter
- Contact Dystonia Ireland 00353 1 4922514 or email@example.com for individual assistance